Download the PDF of this film guide.
Max Manus | Max Manus
Director: Espen Sandberg & Joachim Rønning
Film homepage: n/a
Available on: Amazon/ Netflix/ Hulu
This film is based on the life of Max Manus during the German occupation of Norway. Max was a key figure in the resistance movement. The plot focuses on both him as a person, and also on the actions of the resistance movement and the sabotage of Nazi activities.
1. How do you perceive Max Manus’ personality? Give examples from the film & the filmic techniques that highlight this.
2. Explain why the German Siegfried Ichmer functions as an antagonist in the film.
3. How does Max’ character develop throughout the film? What events/ people contribute to this?
4. What is are the genre(s) of the film? Give examples of traits in the film.
5. How does this film depict the war and the people in the resistance movement “Oslogjengen” (The Oslo gang)
6. During the war there were also many forms of civilian resistance. Find some examples online.
7. How did the war affect people’s everyday lives? Give some examples from the film where they portray this.
8. Describe the use of the filmic techniques (sound, music, light, camera angles, use of color) and how they create an atmosphere or tension in different scenes.
9. Give examples of the use of symbols in the film. What do the symbols refer to?
10. What message are the filmmakers trying to give? What is the takeaway?
About the director:
Espen Sandberg IMDB
Joachim Rønning IMDB
Suggestions for further reading/ viewing:
If you enjoyed this film, we suggest the following.
Adam Bryant, PLU senior capstone: “Timing is everything: The Significance of the Release of Max Manus”
Den 12. mann (The 12th Man) Amazon
Okkupert (Occupied) Netflix
Kongens nei (The King’s Choice) Amazon
Kampen om Tungtvannet (The Saboteurs)
NORTANA Film and TV group discussion guides
This NORTANA discussion guide was prepared by ******* and edited by Kari Lie Dorer & Maren Johnson Anderson.